Holiday Shopping Keeps Starting Earlier ‑ So Must Holiday Marketing
By Mike O'Brien | June 13, 2019
When Jimmy MacDonald won an advertising slogan contest, he took his $25,000 prize — an absolute fortune in 1940 — and shopped ‘til he dropped. An engagement ring for his girlfriend, a luxury sofa-bed for his mom, gifts for all his friends. It was like Christmas in July, the name of the movie all about Jimmy’s adventures. And nearly eight decades later, it doesn’t seem that far off.
The Internet has enabled people to start their holiday shopping earlier and earlier. And they are. Black Friday is no longer seen as the bookend. Last year, a full half of holiday shopping was finished by December 3; 80% was wrapped up by December 15. As shoppers increasingly think about the holidays earlier, so must marketers.
The “never-ending holidays” is just one reason marketing during the most wonderful time of year is more complicated than ever. It’s also more important than ever; surveying retail marketers, Sailthru found that 58% expect to generate 21 to 50% of their revenue for the entire year during this period.
We’re here to help, with our 2019 Holiday Marketing Playbook. This year, we’re launching this annual guide earlier than ever, right in time for Christmas in July.
Holiday Marketing Best Practices
Featuring best-in-class examples from brands including Sephora, Saks and Home Depot, our guide covers everything marketers need to have a happy holiday, including:
- The new table stakes, including free shipping, an optimized mobile experience, gift guides and of course, personalization
- Recommendations for your recommendations, with a breakdown of nine winning strategies
- Diversified discounts, including time-bound, tiered, and those reserved for loyalty members
- Triggered messages, which generate more than three-quarters of email ROI
- How digital channels, such as mobile messaging and email, can drive store traffic
- Cutting through the clutter with advanced personalization, strategic segmentation and predictive analytics
- …and of course how all of the above can help your holiday marketing create repeat customers, turning November’s first-time shoppers into February’s fans
Sailthru's 2019 Holiday Marketing Playbook
There’s plenty of time before “the holidays,” right? Not exactly. Holiday sales are perpetually on the rise, while consumers are starting their shopping earlier and earlier. This means retailers must get a head start before the holidays, especially since the most wonderful time of the year is also the most lucrative.
Pulling the Trigger on Personalization: The Missed Opportunities in Trigger-Based Email Marketing
Far more in-depth than the original iteration, Sailthru’s third annual Retail Personalization Index involved the exhaustive analysis of more than 250 brands and an...
By Mike O'Brien
Recommendations to Revenue: 8 Algorithms to Drive Sales and Personalize the Customer Experience
By Admin Adminer